We're almost to the 1980s, folks, and that means we're running into a greater variety of games! What we've got here in Adventure is one of the first graphical adventure games. Text adventures had been around for awhile and Adventure didn't kill them off - we'll encounter one fairly soon, in fact - but it did a lot to redefine what an adventure game could be.
This is my first time playing this game, so what I know about it is limited to what's available in the book and online. Adventure is a port of a text adventure called Colossal Cave Adventure made by Will Crowther. It's only around 4k and apparently contains a sneaky, sneaky easter egg - one of the first in gaming!
The version of Adventure I played was emulated using Stella. I've got a semi-rule about not using walkthroughs or manuals for these games except where necessary, so I'm terribly sorry if this entry doesn't make a lot of sense. Because, to be honest, the game really didn't make much sense.
In Adventure you play as a little square. That's me right there below the key. You're quite the intrepid adventurer thanks to your two abilities - you can move and you can drag stuff around.
Stuff like that yellow key, for instance. You just bump into it and it sticks to you. We can then sort of shove the key into the gate in that castle, like so...
...and look at that, it opens right up! I headed inside in search of Adventure.
Adventure was nowhere to be found, but I did find an arrow. Abandoning the yellow key, I grabbed the arrow and headed back out, then took the south exit from the first screen.
This led to a fork in the road, where I headed left...
...and on the next screen I was assaulted by a giant duck. Or rather it tried to assault me. Instead it charged at me at mach 5 but just kind of impaled itself on my arrow and died.
Incidentally one of my noble One Thousand Plus One Assistants says that's supposed to be a dragon. He needs new glasses. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and dies like a duck, well...anyway, I carried on.
This led to a really irritating blue maze that I just sort of stumbled around until I came across a pair of pink brackets. After some experimentation I determined that the pink brackers were like a magic portal that you could move around - basically any wall between the brackets became intangible and you could pass through it.
I immediately put my new find to excellent use by getting it stuck in a wall. Shit.
I came across a black castle at the end of the maze near the brackets which turned out to be locked, but by going the other way at the first crossroads and slaying another terrifying duck, I was able to grab a black key.
The black key was what it took to let me in the castle...
...where inside I found a strange magnet-shaped object. I was ready for this to be some kind of crazy magic item like the brackets, but much to my surprise it was just a magnet. I took a moment to ponder how it worked, then headed north.
The innermost chamber in the black castle was inhabited by some kind of crazy glowing thing. I was a little startled by it because it came hurtling toward me, so I went back to grab my arrow in case it was dangerous. Turns out that it was completely harmless and it was only flying at me because I was carrying the magnet. Whoops. I grabbed the glowing thing and, for lack of any other ideas, started to head back to the yellow castle.
Walking into the yellow castle with glowing thing in tow made the whole room flash green, then I lost control of my character. After a quick search it turns out that I inadvertently won. I patted myself on the back and prepared to enjoy some duck in orange sauce - as the most intrepid adventurer this world has ever known I deserved it.
There are a couple other levels as well - the second is similar to the first but much longer and has an incredibly irritating bat that steals your items. The third is the same as the second but strews all the objects all over the place and makes the game remarkably difficult to play.
Having been all Adventure'd out, it's time to move on to the deepest reaches of space...












No comments:
Post a Comment